Thursday, March 15, 2007

C is for cuddle


The kids wake me up at 6.30am. By now I am used to the sound of the junior assassins approaching. The click of the door latch followed by a loud whisper "Are you awake Aunty K?" As with the Borg, resistance is futile. Eldest is already dressed in her school uniform. E still in pyjamas climbs under my duvet and gives me a cuddle. The endless "why's" are silenced by the James and the Giant Peach DVD for half an hour.


I make them breakfast after 7 - milk has to be in very specific bottles ("I want piglet on mine"). E strokes my hair as I bend down to replace an unacceptable bottle choice "You've got pretty hair" and all is instantly forgiven. Sucker.


BF emerges looking worn after a grumbly night with baby and we head out for some fresh air. The amount of kit required to go such a short distance still amazes my untrained eye and it's a full half hour before we manage to leave the house. We take the 3 dogs with us and it seems every available grown up arm has something hanging off it; child, buggy, dog, doll, book. It's a beautiful spring morning and the views are spectacular. For the first time since being back I feel awakened by my surroundings. Whilst away words were constantly crowding my head, ideas vying for position.


BF drops me back at the station later and we chat in the car. She was looking at her wedding photos recently. "You looked so well" she tells me. "I'd forgotten how awful you look, it's happened so gradually". Ah. Love my best friend.


Katy


(What makes you Cry?)

No comments: