Dolores and I hop on the train to see BF and the new baby.
I sit in the car with E (age 2) and the new arrival. I have a tongue rolling contest and listen to E's stream of consciousness babble as BF whizzes around the supermarket.
Time with BF and family is exactly what I needed - a good dose of normality; albeit somewhat frantic surrounded by 3 children, 3 dogs and a cat. There's pandemonium as I hand out presents in the kitchen. E loves her doll - for about half an hour, when she tells me 'I don't like that dolly anymore'. Refreshingly honest. Eldest child is delighted with her sword and her father immediately makes her kneel in the kitchen and knights her.
Eventually the eldest two are put to bed after reading Fantastic Mister Fox. 'That's a high frequency word' child number one tells me. 'High frequency?' I query in a high voice, 'why high frequency?'
'Not that kind of high frequency' BF laughs 'it just means the word is used a lot'. Oh. Clearly I am not parent material yet.
I have a brief cuddle of baby before supper. BF admits it's strange having a little boy after 2 girls. His range of fire whilst changing a nappy came as a particular surprise.
BF's description of labour sans epidural between main course and desert is terrifying - too much information is not always a good thing. We eat chocolate birthday cake to calm our nerves, by which time Dolores is plucking at some of mine.
I make my excuses and crawl into bed with prince Valium.
Katy
(Brown sauce or ketchup?)
1 comment:
Ketchup every time. I know that makes me an outcast or demonstrates that I'm only 'married in' and not a true Burns! Brown sauce? Euughh!
Post a Comment